Tutorial: A book lovers wreath.

I love books. I love crafts. This project is a wonderful marriage of the two.

20141021-111154-40314498.jpg

Two other things that I enjoy that helped with this project were my love for thrifting and my love for simple & easy.

I have several stacks of thrifted books scattered around my house. I’ve been adoring this book wreath made by Jones Design Company for a while and finally made time to create one. By “making time” I mean it was a rainy Saturday and I gave my kids play-doh time. I sat at the SAME table with them and created this. It’s wonderful for your kids to see you creating. 

This took me about 30 minutes and cost me nearly nothing. Skimming Pinterest you’ll see plenty tutorials for making wreaths- the big thing that bugs me about them is that people spend $5-10 on the wreath form! No. That’s not for me. I think it’s too pricey. I always save cardboard so I grabbed a piece to start this off.

IMG_7060

Step 1. I traced two bowls on a piece of cardboard to create the wreath form. You’ll need a big and small one.

IMG_7061

Here’s a look at the dimensions.

IMG_7063

Step 2. Grab thrifted books. I ended up using The Balloon Man which had rippled edges, an added bonus.

IMG_7064

Step 3. Dissect your book. Tearing up this sweet little book, made me feel like I was committing a crime. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Th imperfections make it look even more special.

IMG_7065

Step 4. I took the full pages and folded them in half. This helped make them fuller on the wreath. I placed a pencil in the middle of the folded page and wrapped the paper around the pencil. Using the pencil gave me something to apply pressure without burning my hand. I applied the glue right below my thumb in the picture. Tip: hold it tight on the form for a few seconds.

IMG_7066

Step 5. I worked from the outside in. Keep ruffling, glueing and apply pressure to the perimeter.

IMG_7068

Step 6. What the wreath looks like once the outside is fully applied.

IMG_7070

Step 7. I kept applying over and over and every once in a while would take a step back and check out its progress from afar. This helped to spot any gaps that need to be filled.

IMG_7074

Step 8. I noticed smaller gaps on the very inside of the wreath. I tore some sheet in half and used them as smaller fillers. This is a must do! It looked so much better with them.

IMG_7075

Step 9. Here’s a shot of the inside ring that wasn’t quite big enough for full sheets.

IMG_7071

Step 10. I grabbed a piece of twine and glued this to the back. While I was back there I notice there was a little space on the outside of the form that could use a ruffle. Inside of applying the glue to the BOTTOM of the ruffle, I added the glue to the SIDE and tucked it to the very outside of the cardboard. This is where I got burned a lot. I couldn’t apply the pencil on the side. Ouch.

20141021-111152-40312999.jpg

THE FINISHED PROJECT!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s